Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2011 21:46:03 +0000
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        "Randal L. Schwartz" <merlyn@stonehenge.com>
Cc:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: painful binary upgrade from 8.1 to 8.2

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU

On Sun, Nov 06, 2011 at 11:54:27AM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>=20
> Mark> Does freebsd-update follow /etc/mergemaster.rc?
>=20
> No, apparently it just calls classic "merge", which doesn't have any
> kind of "ignore CVS tags".  No wonder it's painful.
>=20
> But surely, I'm not the only one using freebsd-update.  Does everyone
> else put up with this, or is there some additional tool I'm missing?
>=20

I had the exact same problem when going from 7.3 to 7.4

The result: I don't use freebsd-update any longer and update the
traditional way from source.

AFAIK, I followed the instructions to the letter.

I would be interested to see if there is a workaround, otherwise it
seems that freebsd-update is the long way of updating; assuming
you've got the "ignore CVS tags" flag enabled in mergemaster.rc

Regards,

--=20

 Frank

--rS8CxjVDS/+yyDmU