Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 2015 17:35:25 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?B?Um9nZXIgUGF1IE1vbm7DqQ==?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>
To:        Gustau Perez Querol <gperez@entel.upc.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD XEN <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Two issues with xen

Hello,

Re-adding freebsd-xen which was dropped in last email.

El 13/04/15 a les 16.47, Gustau Perez Querol ha escrit:

>    Hi all,
>

>>>    - Distorted sound in the privileged domain when the xen kernel is
>>> loaded (using pulseaudio or oss, it doesn't matter). When the xen_kernel
>>> is not used (removing xen_kernel and unloading the xen kernel in the
>>> bootloader) the sound comes just fine. I haven't used other audio
>>> outputs than dsp0 (headphones/speakers built in the laptop).
>>
>> I'm also experiencing the same issue with my boxes. On one of them
>> there's simply no sound, on the other one sound is completely
>> scrambled/distorted.
>>
>> I'm afraid this is going to take some time to solve, since I don't have
>> any experience with audio devices.
>
>    No rush (at least for me), it is not a problem for me. I'm just
> getting used to xen and to do so I was using my personal laptop and
> started noticing the problems with the audio. I've devoted a third gen
> i5 machine to do some testing before planning the migration to xen with
> two xeon boxes.

Since I can easily reproduce this I will investigate further to see
what's going on.

>>>    - Running a PV domU guest causes the machine to reboot. I tried
>>> running the domU guest in the text console (I booted them machine wout
>>> X) to see if xen was able to throw me some debug, but nothing came out.
>>
>> So this only happens when running X and trying to launch a PV domain.
>> Without X loaded PV domains work fine?
>>

>    Ups, seems I was not clear enough, sorry. The problem happens with
> and wout X. Without X, when creating the PV domU in the system console I
> don't get any output in the console.
>
>   However, paying more attention, shouldn't I be getting output from the
> xen kernel when booting?

Once Dom0 is started Xen will not output anything else to VGA, so you
won't be able to see any Xen messages unless you use xl dmesg.

> I have console=vga (no com1 and no com1
> settings) in my xen_kernel knob, but I see nothing coming from the xen
> kernel nor the dom0 FreeBSD kernel when booting. Perhaps it really
> prints something when rebooting, but I don't see it in the console?

Probably, but without a serial console it's impossible to tell. Can you
apply the following patch to FreeBSD and rebuild the kernel?

https://people.freebsd.org/~royger/mem.patch

>    Regarding this reboot issue, the core i5 machine I was talking about
> before doesn't suffer from this problems and can create PV domains with
> no problems.
>
>>>    A bit offtopic, but I'd like to ask if the xl toolstack has support
>>> for iscsi target disks. It would appear it is supported, according to
>>> this:
>>>

>>> http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Tuning_Xen_for_Performance#Storage_options
>>
>> The iscsi support is only available for Linux Dom0, because the hotplug
>> script is using the Linux iscsi tools.
>>

>> http://xenbits.xen.org/gitweb/?p=xen.git;a=blob;f=tools/hotplug/Linux/block-iscsi
>>

>> If you want you can copy it to tools/hotplug/FreeBSD and modify it in
>> order to work for FreeBSD. I can try to take a look at it at some point,
>> but my plate is quite full right now :(.
>>

>    I'll try to take a look at this. I hope I'm able to connect to the
> equallogics with the ctld tools or I'll need to set up a FreeBSD box to
> share a few iSCSI targets to test. Perhaps I'll ask you something about
> the way the xl stack plays with the iscsi scripts.

Sure, no problem.

Roger.