Date:      Mon, 23 Dec 1996 04:46:23 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7=2C_Andrey_Chernov?= <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD-current users <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: sytem's default locale

On Sat, 21 Dec 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As [?KOI8-R?] wrote:
>
> > It is no purpose to keep "system default" locale, all daemons must run
> > at standard "C" locale.
>
> While i basically agree: Why that?  Suppose we had a bunch of language
> catalogs (like AIX), and our daemons would understand where to use
> setlocale() and where not (unlike AIX :).  There's IMHO no reason why
> a particular system administrator should not express his wish to see
> the syslog messages in his language -- after all, he is supposed to
> read them.

I not disagree in general, I mean _existen_ daemons.
Do you try to login to "internationalized" ftpd f.e.? It is lot
of fun when its locale have nothing common with your environment.
Usualy daemos are the doors to the outer world, so they must not
be language-dependend. While syslog messages can be... (or not?)
F.e. you can't send your i18n'ed syslog messages to international
discussion forum, if something is wrong happens with your daemon.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>