Date:      Tue, 08 May 2001 11:43:11 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptop on 2 networks - solutions ?

I'm toying with a similar issue.  At the office there's a static IP on
the ethernet, and at home will be ppp by modem.

I'm thinking of a script early in the boot that figures out whether or
not there's anything on the ethernet. If so, it should go through the
regular boot (possibly copying files into place).  If not, it should
set up on demand ppp.  Either way, it shoul dset up a globally readable
environmental variable so that my user startup scripts can figure out
which to use (ie, don't launch lynx and fetchmail automatically!)

hawk

--
Prof. Richard E. Hawkins, Esq.                     /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
dochawk@psu.edu  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700         \ /   against HTML mail