Date:      Wed, 20 Jul 2005 09:43:23 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Bob Johnson <bob89@eng.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions Question <FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Demon license? (copyright myths)

On Jul 20, 2005, at 9:11 AM, Bob Johnson wrote:

> IANAL either, but in general, a copyright holder has the right to
> control
> derivative works as well.  You can't publish pictures of Mickey
> Mouse without
> permission of Disney, even if you drew the pictures yourself, and you
> (probably) can't publish images of Beastie without Kirk McKusick's
> permission.  The fact that he is lenient in enforcing his rights
> does not
> mean that he doesn't have them.
>
> If someone manages to come up with a daemon image that is obviously
> NOT
> Beastie, then they won't have to worry about McKusick's copyright,
> but since
> he is so lenient in granting usage, why bother?
>
> http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
>
> - Bob

This would be true if he had invented or come up with Beastie first.
Is that how it happened?  I was under the impression that he just
came up with the most loved form but that previously somewhat similar
images  had been used for unix/bsd etc.  He still has the right to
derivatives of his beastie but I would suspect that not-so-similar
versions would be OK. But again, IANAL and am not familiar with whole
history

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC
Your Web App and Email hosting provider