Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 04:07:08 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@monkeys.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! "Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction trap" while installing

> >> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> >> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
> >>
> >> Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction fault while in vm86 mode
> >> instruction pointer	= 0xcc00:0x30d3
> >
> >Looks like you're in the VESA BIOS.  Can you boot with -v and give us
> >some more details?
>
> There isn't much more info, but here it is:

> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
> atkbd: the current kbd controller command byte 0067
> atkbd: keyboard ID 0x41ab (2)
> kbdc: RESET_KBD return code:00fa
> kbdc: RESET_KBD status:00aa
>

> Fatal trap 1: privledged instruction fault while in vm86 mode
> instruction pointer     = 0xcc00:0x30d3

Ok; that doesn't really help a lot, unfortunately.  However, I still
think you're probably in the VESA BIOS.  You might want to try a
different (brand/type) of video card and see if that doesn't improve
things.

> So does that help any?  What's going on here?

What's going on is that we've called the BIOS in v86 mode, and it's done
something stupid.  It's probably not expecting to be called like this at
all.

> >  What video card are you using?
>
> A cheapie S3-based piece of junk.  The brand is `Datona'.  (I say ``junk''
> because I tried using it with XFree86 before, and I could never get it to
> work 100% correctly. I mostly worked, but whenever I moved the mouse, or
> whenever there was any change in what appeared on the screen, many thin
> horizontal white lines would flash momentarily in seemingly random places
> all over the screen.  I just chalked it up to crap/cheap electronics and
> used another card.)

I have a card like this made by Jaton; I never run it out of text mode.

> Should I try swapping the video card out?

Definitely.