Date:      Thu, 06 Sep 2007 07:11:12 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Zbigniew Szalbot <zszalbot@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Unable to load dynamic library / mysql.so

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I got a php warning and I am not sure what would be the best way to
> deal with it. I'd like to be able to load the dynamic extension as
> without it database back-end sites won't work. Will it help to force
> upgrade of php4 and php4-extensions (portupgrade -f)?
>
> php -v
> PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library
> '/usr/local/lib/php/20020429/mysql.so' - Shared object
> &quot;libmysqlclient.so.15&quot; not found, required by
> &quot;mysql.so&quot; in Unknown on line 0
> PHP 4.4.7 (cli) (built: Jul 28 2007 17:27:57)
> Copyright (c) 1997-2007 The PHP Group
> Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
>
> mysql --version
> mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.21-beta, for portbld-freebsd6.2 (i386) using  5.0
>
> Many thanks for your suggestions!

What does:

    ldconfig -r | grep mysql

return?  If there is no mention of libmysql.so.15, then that
explains the symptoms you're seeing.  libmysql.so.15 should be found
in /usr/local/lib/mysql and that directory should have been added to
the ldconfig search directories when you installed the mysql-client
port.  You can try adding it in manually if it isn't there by:

    ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib/mysql

Note too this warning from ldconfig(8):

     For security reasons, directories which are world or
group-writable or
     which are not owned by root produce warning messages and are
skipped,
     unless the -i option is present.

	Cheers,

	Matthew