Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 2008 00:46:28 -0800
From:      Steve@foo-unix.org
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Beastie

Hi all,

I know there was a contest a while ago to replace Beastie as the FreeBSD mascot/icon whatever (lord knows why) and was wondering why he was done away with and where a person would stand using him?

Was it for some trademark/legal greedy reason we aren't allowed to use him anymore? Who is allowed to use him now? What does Beastie represent now?

The reason why I'm asking is because I want to make a GDM theme that includes Beastie in it.

In all the gazillions of years I've been using BSD's, Beastie has represented the true face of Berkeley Unix  and it would be a dying shame to see him gone forever!

Regards,
Steve Laurie
Sydney, Australia