Date:      Tue, 8 Mar 2005 21:16:32 -0800
From:      "Loren M. Lang" <lorenl@alzatex.com>
To:        Bob Johnson <bob89@eng.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /boot like linux!

--QWpDgw58+k1mSFBj

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 07:45:19PM -0500, Bob Johnson wrote:
> Jesse Guardiani wrote:
>=20
> >On Thursday 03 March 2005 5:41 pm, [someone] wrote:
> >=20

<snip>
> >>It's *best* to make more =20
> >>partitions (esp for /var) so that if something goes out of control=20
> >>logging, or you just neglect your logs, it doesn't go and fill up your=
=20
> >>only (ie / ) partition. Like most *nix OS's, it can be as simple or as=
=20
> >>complicated as you want it to be.
> >>  =20
> >>

> >I want / + /boot. It's that simple.

A /boot for FreeBSD should really be unneccessary, that is more of a
necessity in the past and more of a linux thing anyways, but I don't use
one even on my linux systems anymore.

> >=20
> >
>=20
> What are you really trying to accomplish?  You want to run softupdates=20
> on / ?
>=20
> I believe it is perfectly acceptable to use softupdates on the root=20
> partition these
> days.  The Handbook recommends turning on softupdates for all filesystems=
.=20
> See
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/configtuning-di=
sk.html
>=20
> I'm pretty sure my test system at home has only / and swap (because it
> has a small hard drive), and uses softupdates on /.  I'll check when I get
> home.
>=20
> If you have some other reason for separating /boot from /, explain your=
=20
> actual
> goal, and perhaps we can help.
>=20
> - Bob
>=20
rg"

--=20
I sense much NT in you.
NT leads to Bluescreen.
Bluescreen leads to downtime.
Downtime leads to suffering.
NT is the path to the darkside.
Powerful Unix is.

Fingerprint: CEE1 AAE2 F66C 59B5 34CA  C415 6D35 E847 0118 A3D2
=20

--QWpDgw58+k1mSFBj

--QWpDgw58+k1mSFBj--