Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2015 05:21:10 +0300
From:      rozhuk.im@gmail.com
To:        "'Adam Nowacki'" <nowakpl@platinum.linux.pl>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   RE: ChaCha8/12/20 and GEOM ELI tests

> Maybe faster but a stream cipher is unusable for disk encryption - iv
> is derived from sector number and doesn't change. Being able to write =
> known plaintext and read resulting ciphertext allows you to recover =
the
> cipher stream and decrypt any past or future data stored on that
> sector.

Depends on the capabilities of the attacker.

To be able to continuously read encrypted sectors for data collection is =
too much.

Ability to read encrypted sectors has a transmission network, for =
example when the container=3Ddisk is stored somewhere in the cloud.

In many cases, the attacker gets Encrypted disk along with other =
equipment, often in the off state.
Without encryption keys and the ability to write / read through the =
GELI.

I do not see any weaknesses stream ciphers in cases when the attacker is =
not able to access the disk when it is mounted in the GEOM GELI.

Another possibility is the use of ChaCha (without XTS) - encryption swap =
file: there every time a new key is generated, besides the speed is =
particularly important.

These aspects of the application must necessarily be reflected in the =
documentation.

There are objections to add ChaCha and XChaCha (without XTS) in GEOM =
GELI?