Date:      Mon, 05 Feb 2001 20:46:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Andrea Campi <andrea@webcom.it>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>, Jim Bloom <bloom@acm.org>
Subject:   Re: Kernel Panic from Yesterday's CVSup

On 06-Feb-01 Andrea Campi wrote:
> Sorry to bother everybody, but did anybody note from my panic trace,
> that instruction pointer is 0xdeadc0de? Isn't that bad? :-p

That means it is free'd memory.  One cause might be something that is free'ing
its interrupt handler w/o releasing it properly.  Alternatively, it might be a
race in the interrupt list code that was been brought about by preemption.
Since locks are rather expensive, we have avoided locking the list of interrupt
handlers in the past, but we may have to break down and do that now. :(  This
will hurt interrupt latency unless I can figure out a slick way of fixing it.
Can anyone confirm that a pre-preemption kernel works fine for them?