Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:28:30 +0200
From:      Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        netchild@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: monitoring hardware temperatures

on 06/12/2010 20:36 Mikhail T. said the following:
> On 06.12.2010 07:44, Andriy Gapon wrote:
>> Well, that code has support only for a few types of hardware monitoring chips
>> (Super I/Os with hardware monitoring function).
> Damn, I wish I knew earlier... The machine I'm retiring now -- but which was my
> primary horse 3 years ago -- has "Super I/O" :-(

Well, that fact alone doesn't mean anything.

>> So, it greatly depends on exact kind of hardware and sensors that you have.
>> First thing you should do to is to discover what kind of hardware is used for
>> monitoring in your server.
>> In your case that data might be provided via IPMI.
> Thanks, I'll explore that pointer...

>From what I googled about Dell servers this could be your best chance.
Unfortunately they don't provide their OMSA/OpenManage for FreeBSD.  They do for
Linux however.

>> Especially I am not sure about monitoring DIMM temperature - greatly depends on
>> the way that it is actually done.  Perhaps it's reported via SMBus by the DIMMs
>> themselves, not sure...
> Both NetBSD and OpenBSD (and, likely, DragonFly too) have something called sdtemp(4):
>
>    http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source/dev/i2c/sdtemp.c?v=NETBSD
>
> I thought, that driver would be part of the unfortunate "basic support for a few
> sensors"...

Not sure if it was included in that import, can't find it.

> Anyway, I'll try merging the http://people.freebsd.org/~avg/sensors9.diff, and
> see, what gives...

The patch may be out of date.  Let me know if you run into problems, I'll
regenerate it.

> Is not it just like Linux, that one needs to get patches from here and there to
> get going :-\ ?

No comment.

--
Andriy Gapon