Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:26:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>, FreeBSD current users <current@FreeBSD.ORG>, re@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.0 showstopper

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Julian Elischer wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Dan Nelson wrote:
>
> > In the last episode (Dec 13), Julian Elischer said:
> > > It's always been there. the question is
> > > "Who has broken it?"
>
> I think this is a 5.0 showstopper. Having 5.0 overwrite your
> Windows partition would be "poor" PR.
> Having a quick look at it, it shouldn't be too hard for PHK
> to fix it as he has all the correct parts currently "loaded"
> into his head. Especially such things as making GEOM not allow writes
> to -ve blocknumbers (as must have happenned for root to have been
> overwritten).

looking at the code in src/sys/i386/i386/dump_machdep.c,

we see:
  78         dumplo = di->mediaoffset + di->mediasize - Maxmem *
(off_t)PAGE_SIZE;
  79         dumplo -= sizeof kdh * 2;
  80         i = di->dumper(di->priv, &kdh, 0, dumplo, sizeof kdh);
  81         if (i)
  82                 printf("\nDump failed writing header (%d)\n", i);
  83         dumplo += sizeof kdh;
  84         i = 0;

It looks like the following test should go after line 77

	if (di->mediasize <  ((Maxmem * (off_t)PAGE_SIZE) +
	     (sizeof kdh * 2) + (16*1024)) {
			/* 16K is an arbitrary  buffer
			 * in case the swap part is
			 * the first part
			 */
		printf("\nDump failed. Partition too small.\n");
		return;
	}