Date:      Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:12:52 -0800
From:      Beecher Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thanks...

--nextPart7933427.m8Om66xfin

On Wednesday 07 September 2005 06:33 pm, Rem Roberti wrote:
> Beecher Rintoul wrote:

> >>Thanks for your reply.  Here's the file:
> >>
> >>*default tag=3DRELENG_5_4_0_RELEASE
> >>*default host=3Dcvsup1.FreeBSD.org
> >>*default base=3D/var/db
> >>*default prefix=3D/home/ncvs
> >>*default release=3Dcvs
> >>*default delete use-rel-suffix
> >>*default compress
> >>src-all
> >>ports-all
> >>doc-all
> >>www
> >>cvsroot-all
> >>
> >>Except for adding the initial tag, I just copied this supfile from one
> >>of the examples.  It probably leaves a lot to be desired.
> >>
> >>Rem
> >
> >Your cvsupfile should look like this:
> >
> >*default  tag=3DRELENG_5_4_0_RELEASE
> >*default  host=3Dcvsup3.freebsd.org
> >*default  base=3D/usr
> >*default  prefix=3D/usr
> >*default  release=3Dcvs
> >*default  compress
> >*default  delete use-rel-suffix
> >src-all
> >doc-all
> >ports-all tag=3D.   <----- Note the period
> >
> >That will update your local /usr/src, /usr/doc and /usr/ports. Ports
> > always need to be tagged head otherwise cvsup will just delete your por=
ts
> > tree. Change *default host to a mirror close to you. You don't need www
> > unless you plan on mirroring the freebsd website, nor do you need
> > cvs-root.
> >
> >Enjoy,
> >
> >Beech
>
> Thanks very much, Beech.  As you can tell, this is all new to me.  Once
> having run cvsup with the above supfile, do I then have to do something
> with the cvs command?

No, running cvsup with that cvsupfile will update all of your local sources=
=2E=20
You might want to delete /home/ncvs as that is taking up a lot of disc spac=
e=20
and you don't need it unless you're planning to run your own cvs mirror, or=
=20
you're planning on tracking multiple branches. Just stick with cvsup, it's=
=20
much easier to use than CVS. Take a look at the handbook. It has a lot of=20
info pertaining to what your doing. You might want to be tracking RELENG_5
as your default tag. That's the 5-stable branch which will contain bug fixe=
s=20
etc that are not in the release. RELENG_5_4_0 is just a snapshot of that=20
release with only security updates. Always read /usr/src/UPDATING before=20
building / installing it will save you from potential gotyas.

Beech

=2D-=20
Beech Rintoul - System Administrator - akbeech@gmail.com
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | NorthWind Communications
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  | 201 East 9th Avenue Ste.310
/ \=20