Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:30:58 +0000
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   $DIR/$DIR.sgml -> $DIR/index.sgml

Hi folks,

Comments please, before I ask the CVS-meisters to do the copy:

A glance at the web site will show that we have a mix and match of
'index' file names.

[  An "index" file in this context means the "master" file for each
   section of the web site.  For example, the index file for the java
   section is java/index.sgml, for the Doc. Proj section it's
   docproj/docproj.sgml, for the news section it's news/news.sgml, for
   the releases it's releases/index.sgml, and so on ]

Sometimes we use $DIR/$DIR.sgml, other times we use $DIR/index.sgml.

I'd like to suggest that

  1.  From now on, we always use $DIR/index.sgml

  2.  The repo-meisters copy $DIR/$DIR.sgml to $DIR/index.sgml where
      that's not the case, and I'll patch up the Makefiles as necessary.

This will

  1.  Make the web site structure more consistent, which means there are
      fewer rules to carry around in your head when working on it.

  2.  Bring it more in to line with every other website I've ever worked
      on.

  3.  Allow Apache DirectoryIndex directives to work properly, allowing
      us to quote URLs of the form .../news/, or .../docproj/.

Ultimately, I'd like a structure whereby each major section in the site
has an "obvious" name: alpha, java, ports, news, ... with an index.sgml
file in each one, containing pointers to all the appropriate information
for that section.