Date:      Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:56:33 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert <cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ELF Motif

Now that 3.0 has become the -stable branch, I would assume that
many vendors may port their products to the new binary format.
I've spoken to a couple of vendors about their Motif products
migration to ELF.  Both have said soon.  Since I don't have any
evidence of anything that will prove these promises either way
(being the skeptical person I am), I would like to determine
whether I should:

1.  Wait.

2.  Replace applications with those that use toolkits other than
Motif.

3.  Use 3.0 with a.out binaries.  I would like to still maintain
the option
    of recompiling these applications on 3.0 if I have to, rather
than keep
    a 2.2 system for that purpose.

I seem to have the impression that some in the inner sanctum of the
FreeBSD project may have managed to get their hands on a
pre-release copy of Motif for FreeBSD ELF.  If this is the case,
one might be able expect that a product will be released by some
vendor RSN, in which case wait might be the option to take.

Would anyone care to comment on or confirm my assumptions?

Open Systems Group          Internet:  Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca
ITSD                                   Cy.Schubert@gems8.gov.bc.ca
Province of BC