Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 1997 09:38:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Silent Bob <silentbob@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable Modems

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Silent Bob wrote:

> I'm have read about FreeBSD and love every word about it, and I am also
> looking forward to recieving the CD.  However, my concern is that my
> connection to the Internet id through a Cable Modem, and although
> capable of high speeds is not always supported by all systems. I am no
> networking expert but I know it works just like a constant connection to
> a LAN and that my ISP is COX Cable and that there server uses a
> Firewall(proxy server). Any information would be of great help because
> niether my ISP or my System Administrator will help.

This depends on what cable modem you have and how restrictive the firewall
is.  AFAIK, all cable modems are implemented through a interface box that
kicks out a Ethernet connection.  From there it's a matter of getting a
supported Ethernet card.  If you've read the Handbook then you know which
cards are supported, you just need to check that with your system.  If
it's supported, then no problem.  If not, you'll need to change it, which
is quite simple.  (I don't think the cable boxes are particular about
which Ethernet card they plug into, just as long as the media types
match up.)

For getting past the proxy server, it's a matter of instructing your
programs (netscape et. al.) to route queries through it.