Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 12:46:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Show Stopper?  Failure to Install 19981014

Hi Yall,

I am installing, from scratch, on a known-to-be-good system, FreeBSD
3.0-CURRENT, the snapshot from 14-Oct (compiled here) and getting the
following error messages during filesystem creation:

[ After newfs lists superblocks ]

newfs: ioctl (WDINFO): cros-device link
newfs: /mnt/dev/rda0s4a cant rewrite disk label.

The disk is partitioned to have a 64MB DOS slice a 1GB FreeBSD
slice another 1GB freeBSD slice and a slightly over 2GB FreeBSD
slice.

There are numerous FreeBSD partitions in each slice.  The systme has a DPT
controller driving a RAID-1 array.  The very same system (and numerous
others) are running IDENTICAL hardware with the very same date code without
any sign of this problem. This problem has been confirmed by others and is
very real.

As a reference, 2.2.7 installs and boots.  Pre-CAM 3.0 installs and boots.

The (excessive) confirmations are an attempt to stem ``Oh, it soes not
happen here, must be the DPT driver'' comments.  I belive it does not
happen elsewhere but is serious enough for us to post it here in search for
help.  We are standing by to do what is needed to make it work.

If you feel like chatting, I am at 770.794.1513

Sincerely Yours,                 Shimon@Simon-Shapiro.ORG
                                             770.265.7340
Simon Shapiro

Unwritten code has no bugs and executes at twice the speed of mouth