Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 11:50:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      freebsd-questions account <question@namodn.com>
To:        larry_nilsen <larry_nilsen@eee.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: xdm/ ppp

1) On my system anyway, I can set ttyvb (in /etc/ttys) from "off" to "on",
and xdm will start up (although I find xdm rather flaky and I prefer the
security/look of the regular login :)

2) My /etc/ttys is no different from the default on my home machine, save
that I turned on more virtual consoles. Just turn the line that has
"/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon" from off to on. It may not be on ttyvb on
your system, since I have added more virtual consoles.

3) Is PPP set to the correct serial port? Look in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.
You can also set this value with (assuming your modem is on com1)
set device /dev/cuaa0
Then when you type "term" then type "AT", it should say OK.

4) As far as I know, PPP doesn't have anything to do with ttys :)
/etc/ttys specifies which terminals are available for login.

If you still can't get it working, post again, I'll be happy to mail you a
copy of my ttys (the only reason I don't know is because I don't think you
need it)

-rob
( www.namodn.com )
( mailto : robert@namodn.com )