Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 01:27:28 +0200
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        VB <swive@getnet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how much space does fbsd need?

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 04:06:00PM -0700, VB wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just picked up a junker 133, with a 1 gig hard drive.  It works. but I put
> fbsd 4.4 r on last night, downloaded all src, then made world.  i awoke the
> next morning to file system full errors.
>
> I had given / 100MB, /var 300mB I think, 50MB to /boot, and the remainder to
> /usr.  is this about right?

Except for the stuff for /boot that sounds fine. /boot is small, so you
can let that be part of / without any problems.
You might also want some swap.

> WHat did I do wrong; I mean why did I run out of space.  I just want to do a
> minumal install, and patch my security holes by doing make world.  What is a
> better way to do this, or is it impossible with such a small drive?

The source is about 300MB, the object files created while doing a
buildworld about the same.

This means that with your partitioning above /usr will not be large
enough. (After installing the system and downloading the source you
probably had about 200MB free on /usr, which is not enough.)

For such a small system I would suggest just using a single partition
for the whole system.
That way you won't run out of diskspace while still having free space
on another partition which is what happened for you.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson