Date:      Mon, 19 May 1997 09:47:16 +0200
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        patrick@popper.paradigm2000.com (Patrick)
Subject:   Re: TERM Problem

As Patrick wrote:

>    Thank's for the reply. My problem is that every time I connect my
> FreeBSD box to the ICL/DRS6000 Unix. Keyboard setting, vi, and
> screen display cannot operate poperly. I know the term use in
> ICL/DRS6000 is vt220 and hence I set the FreeBSD box to vt220 before
> connecting to the ICL.  But still it cannot work. I did not have any
> problem when connecting to any other hosts using freebsd.

You haven't understood how the TERM variable works: you cannot simply
set it to whatever you like, you gotta set it to whatever your local
terminal type is.  In case of the stock FreeBSD console, that's
``cons25'', and that's quite a little different from ``vt220''.  It is
unlikely that your remote system understands this terminal type
however.  You might give it a try whether you can work with
``scoterm'' or ``ansi'' or such.

Failing this, you should really have a look at the pcvt driver option.
It emulates as much of a vt220 as is possible with a plain VGA adapter
(i.e. basically everything except double-height or double-width
characters).

--
cheers, J"org