Date:      Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:27:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        "Dr. Reiner Kallenborn" <kallenbo@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Booting

On Wed, 22 Apr 1998, Dr. Reiner Kallenborn wrote:

> I have a problem booting freebsd from my secondary master HDD (wd2).
> When I get the boot prompt (boot:) I have to write 1:wd(2,a)kernel to
> boot properly.
> When I try to boot without writing this stuff,
> the message is that the kernel is booted at wd(1,a)  but the the root
> directory is not found (which is at wd2s1)
>
> The following did not help:   kernel compilation
> with                            config  root on wd2
>                                                    using boot.config
> with the line             1:wd(2,a)kernel
>
> Does anyone have an idea how to fix this

Try rebuilding your kernel and remove the entry for wd1.  (not for wdc1,
obviously)

You must have found part one of my boilerplace :)  Here is part two:

2. Rename the second disk to wd1 in the kernel config (comment out the
original wd1 line and change the wd2 line to read wd1, leaving all other
parameters unchanged).