Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 17:14:39 -0400
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ipfw startup

I'm having difficulty getting ipfw to look at my ruleset on a 4.1-release
box.

i've compiled in the options needed to the kernel but when the box starts up
i get

IP packet filtering initialized...rule-based forwarding disabled, default to
deny...

and of course everything is denied except the loop back device.

I've been unable to find any basic get-you-started type info.  I'm new to
ipfw and just want to use the default rc.firewall for now.

I've read the entire security chapter as well as the article on dialup
firewall configuration.

pointers to any helpful how to info or advice is greatly appreciated.

Peter Brezny
SysAdmin Services, Inc.