Date:      Tue, 18 Sep 2001 12:36:24 -0500
From:      Wayne Cuddy <wcuddy@crb-web.com>
To:        Norbert Koch <nk@LF.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: backspace does not delete previous character

I may have been a little unclear about the problem.

I have a Linux box and FreeBSD box side by side.

Lets remove X from the picture, assume I am logging in to the console on both
systems.

If I login to the console on Linux everything works fine and I need not to
adjust the 'stty erase' parameters to use backspace in vim.  If I login to the
FreeBSD console and run vim everything works fine.  However if I login to the
FreeBSD console and telnet to the Linux box and run vim backspace does not
work unless I adjust stty settings.  I don't believe the `uname` solution
works in this situation because on Linux it will always return Linux.  What I
need to be able to do is detect that I am logging into Linux from FreeBSD in
order to setup 'stty erase' correctly.

Does this sound right?

Once again, thanks for the input..

Wayne