Date:      Sun, 1 Oct 1995 09:33:46 +0800 (WST)
From:      Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
To:        Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
Cc:        imb@scgt.oz.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Low end PS laser, or inkjet/bubblejet

[ deleted ]

>     michael> Whilst not directly related .. I run a pair of HP4s (one
>     michael> M+ and one MV for A3 printing) with JetDirect cards and,
>     michael> therefore, an "rm" entry in /etc/printcap. What surprised
>     michael> me was that I don't seem to be able to get any filters to
>     michael> preprocess the stuff before shooting it at the printer.
>
> Ah, yep.  The LPD protocol says that filtering of jobs happens on the
> printer host.  And if the printer host is itself the printer, it's
> expected to have enough smarts to know how to convert DVI, troff,
> ditroff, cifplot, Fortran Text, etc., to native format.
>
>     michael> Is this what's supposed to happen ? How do I fix it ? :-)
>
> Oh, I'm sure it's not what you wanted!  You can fix it if your
> JetDirect card also supports non-server (LPD) mode---if it just has
> some data stream mode, where it listens to a certain port number and
> prints any data that comes in, rather than emulate a spooling host.
>
> If it can do that, then set up on of your FreeBSD hosts to be the
> printer host.  Then you can have the conversion filters for the
> formats you want to support.  Have them send their results to the
> printer.
>
> Or, use PLP or LPRng, which support filtering of jobs on the
> submitting host instead of the printer host---then you can still use
> the server mode on the printer.

I saw a tip some time ago. try these printcap entries for an HP LJ4SI:

The key is the rp=text|raw

l4si_txt|ASCII remote line printer:\
        :sh:lp=:rm=144.139.64.98:rp=text:sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :lf=var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:

l4si_raw|BINARY remote line printer on witg_networks_f1:\
        :sh:lp=:rm=144.139.64.98:rp=raw:sd=/var/spool/lpd:\
        :lf=var/log/lpd-errs:pw#80:

   _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
  /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221 2631
  *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable mailer
       v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom )