Date:      Sun, 1 Feb 2009 22:31:14 -0800
From:      Kayven Riese <kayve@sfsu.edu>
To:        "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for

   -----owner-freebsd-hardware@fre= ebsd.org wrote: -----

     To: freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
     From: "Julian Stacey" &= lt;jhs@berklix.org>
     Sent by: owner-freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
     Da= te: 02/01/2009 04:35AM
     Subject: Re: Suggestion for "moderation"
     <= font size=3D"3" face=3D"Courier New,Courier,monospace">Hi,
     Reference:
     Jonas Lund wrote:
     > I've had enough of spam and crackpot-newsle= tters now. And i'm
     on the
     > verge of unsubscribing as i guess institu= ting full moderation
     wouldn't
     > be very practical (i'm sure most peop= le don't get paid for
     sitting
     > here)
     >
     > Altho just lea= ving and complaining won't help anybody (and i do
     love freebsd).
     > > So....
     > Isn't there some kind of auto-moderation system that = could be
     placed
     > in (Plugin or whatever)? Like delaying the mails fo= r an hour
     for all
     > newly subscribed users (so kicking people off the= list will
     force them
     > to re-list) and then just sending the mail in= advance to
     "moderators"
     NO. No human censors Please,
     &nbs= p;    Latin approx: Quis Custodes Custodiensis.
     [DEL:      :DEL] English: Who guards us from the guardia= ns
          "Power corrupts, absolute power= corrupts absolutely"
          (I have obse= rved such corruption on a non BSD list)
     > that would have simple = link that would remove the mail from the
     queue.
     > (Maybe one hit on t= he link would delay the mail futher and
     several
     > clicks within the t= imespan would kill it).
     >
     > This way message will get through = by default but annoying stuff
     > wouldn't affect everybody.
     > > Just another 2C
     Best thing is to first look at which tools &a= mp; config
     freebsd.org
     currently use for their lists.  Then look at= what other full
     automatic
     anti spam tools are ready & available to = integrate.  ie this whol
     topic does not belong on hardware@, its a = generic background to
     all lists,
     so should be discussed with the FreeBSD= postmaster team.
     Cheers,
     Julian
     IMHO, FreeBSD does a = great job of this
     --
     Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin Sy= sEng Consult Munich
     www.berklix.com

   =