Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 17:07:28 +0200
From:      "Karel J. Bosschaart" <karelj@wop21.wop.wtb.tue.nl>
To:        Marcelo Iturbe <miturbe@msm.cl>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: going stable...

On Wed, May 10, 2000 at 10:32:26AM -0400, Marcelo Iturbe wrote:

> When I run top under freebsd I get:
>
> Mem: 37M Active, 3848K Inact, 15M Wired, 3424K Cache, 7458K Buf, 532K Free
>
> All those numbers add up to 67.262Megs of RAM. this machine has a total of
> 256Megs of RAM.
> It also has 768 megs of swap and that is showed in a more friendly manner:
>
> Swap: 768M Total, 372M Used, 396M Free, 48% Inuse, 100K In, 128K Out
>
> It seems to me that the FreeBSD is not recognizing the total RAM that the
> machine has.
> SO, I was trying to download the 3.3-Release kernel source so that I could
> do as recomended. ( I have no clue who took my 3.3-release CD)
>
> "Sounds like its not seeing all of you ram - you will need to set maxmem in
> the config and recompile it."

See http://www.nl.freebsd.org/FAQ/troubleshoot.html#REALLYBIGRAM which
describes the problem that you most probably have. You need to recompile
the kernel with the option

options "MAXMEM=262144"

for 256 MB of RAM. There is an entry in the handbook how to recompile
your kernel (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html).

If you don't have the CD anymore, you need to download the kernel sources,
which is most easily done by using /stand/sysinstall (FTP)  and selecting the
kernel source there ('post-install configuration of FreeBSD',
'install additional distribution sets', 'sources for everything but
encryption', '/usr/src/sys'). Be sure to grab the kernel source version
matching your FreeBSD version (3.3-RELEASE).

Good luck,

Karel.