Date:      Sat, 25 Jan 1997 21:10:01 -0500
From:      rhh@ct.picker.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        matra@diemme.it (matra)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Newbie...

matra:
 |So have i to buy EVERY Walnut Creek CD to have a current and not obsolete
 |FreeBSD box ?!
 |
 |My linux box has a 197mb /usr/src directory . Every time a new
 |program/kernel etc/etc was announced ,i just ftp it . Why have i to wait
 |WC's cds to have the newest system ?

... stuff deleted ...

Relax and enjoy life.  I've been with FreeBSD since 2.0, upgraded and
installed many versions on my home boxes off the net, and haven't yet
shelled out money for a Walnut Creek CD-ROM.  I prefer to spend my computer
money on new hardware, good books (e.g. Dgn&Imp 4.4BSD OS :-), and FreeBSD
T-shirts.

You can continue install releases right off the net.  And when the latest,
greatest version of your favorite utility programs come out, you typically
can just pull the ports, build them, and install them (most likely very
similar to what you've been doing).

Randall Hopper