Date:      Sun, 22 Jan 2017 00:24:52 +0100
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartmann@walstatt.org>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISO image: where is the CLANG compiler?
References:  <A73ED94A-89CE-41C5-98D2-F1611476797B@digsys.bg> <20170118101915.523d7d7b@freyja.zeit4.iv.bundesimmobilien.de> <20170118123515.GE58505@zxy.spb.ru> <20170118160801.229b4134@freyja.zeit4.iv.bundesimmobilien.de> <20170118153832.GA6905@c720-r292778-amd64> <20170118203726.7dea0515@thor.intern.walstatt.dynvpn.de> <ce772c1c-7506-6488-a6ae-6b95b2be8a20@freebsd.org> <20170119055816.GA2184@c720-r292778-amd64> <20170119101636.5537f4fd@freyja.zeit4.iv.bundesimmobilien.de> <20170119191000.GG1451@FreeBSD.org> <20170119193830.GH1451@FreeBSD.org> <20170121222001.40ce534c@thor.intern.walstatt.dynvpn.de>

--Sig_/zWj77xfIRzgcQkd9/5/pEtg

Am Sat, 21 Jan 2017 22:20:01 +0100
"O. Hartmann" <o.hartmann@walstatt.org> schrieb:

> Am Thu, 19 Jan 2017 19:38:30 +0000
> Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org> schrieb:
>=20
> > On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 07:10:00PM +0000, Glen Barber wrote: =20
> > > On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 10:16:46AM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:   =20

T list, but
D drives
> [...]
>=20
> After reboot, it can not find any kernel because /boot/kernel as well as =
every "per
> default" installed file/directory is not existent anymore - except thiose=
 files I
> touched/copied.
>=20
> Files in /rescue do have all NULL size! That was the same on the other bo=
x on which
> crash I initiated this thread. The same in /sbin, /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/sb=
in and /lib.
> Some libs/files are NULL in size.
>=20
> So, apart from the fact that CURRENT disrupts obviously filesystems on in=
stallations, I
> had the doubtful chance to take a test on your suggestion above: It doesn=
't work!
>=20
> I booted this time again from the USB thumdrive with the recent FreeBSD 1=
2-CURRENT image
> without the compiler and mount the still intact usr/obj and usr/src from =
the corrupted
> SSD onto the USB thumdrive and tried to do as requested.
>=20
> make -C /usr/src WITHOUT_SYSTEM_COMPILER=3D1 DESTDIR=3D/wherever installw=
orld
>=20
> The script bugs out at "bsd.compiler.mk line 145: Unable to determine com=
piler type for
> CC=3Dcc. Consider setting COMPILER_TYPE"
>=20
> Setting COMPILE_TYPE=3Dcc results in "sh: cc not found", setting to "clan=
g" doesn't work
> either.
>=20
> Apart from the fact of CURRENT to be incapable of rescuing, there seems t=
o be a very
> serious issue with CURRENT regarding its filesystem stability and I do no=
t know how to
> address this in the correct way :-(
>=20
> I use NanoBSD for about a year for several projects and I already have a =
useful USB
> thumdrive with a full grown system (~ 836 MB if I'm not confused includin=
g the
> compiler). I tried to makeinstallworld, but this time, it seems that also=
 the usr/obj
> has been corrupted, so I had to perform a buildworld, which is still runn=
ing.
>=20
> From my little experiences with building NanoBSD and the use of etc/src.c=
onf as the
> source for delegating what is used in the target image and not, I was rea=
lly wondering
> that the "RELEASE" build infrastructure is not using a predefined src.con=
f to reduce the
> size  and content of the resulting image. Instead, some "WITHOUT_TOOLCHAI=
N" hidden and
> hard coded knobs are used :-( Somehow the whole thing got more confusing.
>=20
> I can understand that some people want some small images for their instal=
lation
> processes, but I think they can perform the task of creating their own im=
ages via make
> relaese very easily.
> In cases were someone crashed, like me, it would a great benefit having s=
ome real rescue
> stuff around instead of crippled images. But this might be a different vi=
ew.
>=20
> regards,
>=20
> oh=20
>=20

I now have on one box a partially restored system. It seems, that this time=
, a very
serious bug made proper work.

I need to restore the library installation/structure in /usr/lib. It is cor=
rupted and
has been corrupted by "make installword" with WITHOUT_SYSTEM_COMPILER=3D1 (=
which seems
useless in this case) and COMPILER_TYPE=3Dclang. There are dead links in /u=
sr/lib,
especially libthr.so.X is pointing to nothing.

As a result of this desaster I can state, that the images provided official=
ly are not
capable of performing such a rescue.

Dead man in the water :-(=20

--=20
O. Hartmann

Ich widerspreche der Nutzung oder =DCbermittlung meiner Daten f=FCr
Werbezwecke oder f=FCr die Markt- oder Meinungsforschung (=A7 28 Abs. 4 BDS=
G).