Date:      Wed, 24 Jun 1998 15:01:27 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        John <grief@newave.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Minimum Req Disk Space (Was: Brilliant question about FreeBSD)

One might think that this question should be answered in the FAQ.  Well
guess what?  It is!

In section 2.3, "What do I need in order to run FreeBSD?"

"You'll need a 386 or better PC, with 5 MB or more of RAM and at least 60
MB of hard disk space. It can run with a low end MDA graphics card but to
run X11R6, a VGA or better video card is needed."

And it is also in:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/2.2.6-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT

FreeBSD requires a 386 or better processor to run (sorry, there is no
support for '286 processors), 5 megs of RAM to install and 4 megs of
ram to run. You will need at least 80 megs of hard drive space free
on either a dedicated disk or a "primary," (not extended partition,
to use the DOS terminology). See below for ways to shrink existing
DOS partitions to install FreeBSD.

Keep in mind these are minimum requirements for a base system.

Now..my question is:   Why does one say 60 and one say 80?