Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 1998 13:05:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, JGarcia <jgarcia@brokersys.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: info for ISP

On Wednesday,  8 July 1998 at 23:29:46 -0400, spork wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Jul 1998, JGarcia wrote:
>
>> my internet provider is very quiet about some of the information they
>> want to give me.  What do I need beside my 2 DNS addresses, that they
>> provide with win95 setup? and the phone number to dialup with.?
>
> You've got it all except for the news host, mail host, and pop host.  I
> don't suggest trying to hardcode the other end of the link or your own
> address.

I do, at least your own address.  But you'll have difficulty finding
an ISP who will do it for you.

> Your address is most likely dynamically assigned when you dial
> in, and the ISP side will change depending on what term server you land on
> when you dial.  One of the biggest problems we have with supporting unix
> accounts is people that insist on hardcoding the "ISP side" of the link
> even though they only have a one in seven chance of getting the same
> address each time...

The other end of the link is of almost no importance on a PPP link.
But there are good reasons to want to have your own IP address (one of
them is that it looks more professional to have a message come from,
say, freebie.lemis.com than ip133.lnk.telstra.net).  It is also
imperative if you want to be able to hang up the phone line, redial
and still have your long-standing connections work.

Greg