Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 13:59:26 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Brett_Glass@ccgate.infoworld.com (Brett Glass)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cannot boot after install

Brett Glass stands accused of saying:
> enhanced version of Red Hat Linux. It *did* work and did not crash. One of
> the boot messages from the kernel seemed significant. It said something
> like:
>
> ide0: Buggy RZ1000 chip: Disabling read-ahead
>
> This could be related to the problem.
>
> If this *is* the problem, code to fix it ought to be available in the Red
> Hat Linux distribution, or so I would imagine.

The problem can bite before the kernel has been loaded.  Your BIOS
should have an option to disable "IDE readhead" or similar, and this
is the correct place to turn it off.

> In any event, if my intution is correct here, I can't get FreeBSD running
> until the read-aheads are disabled. (No, there's no jumper for this on
> the drive, just as there is no jumper to turn off "green" mode. It's got
> to be set via IDE.)

If I recall correctly, the ATA-2 spec says that drives should not default
to green mode; you're probably going to have to check with the spec and
add some special code to the 'wd' driver to recognise your drive and
disable 'green mode'.

> --Brett
>
> P.S. -- I do like FreeBSD's configuration and installation routines much
> better than the ones that come with Caldera, by the way. That visual
> configuration editor saves a lot of pain.

(*warm fuzzies*)