Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 19:38:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   there's been Qlogic ISP breakage all along....sorry....

At some point recently, allocations for the request/response queues for
the ISP started to fail in startup- but I wasn't checking for errors
(because the !@*$!($#*(!#! busdma framework is so bloody awkward and I got
lazy)... A little auditting and error checking found:

Qlogic ISP Driver, FreeBSD CAM Version 0.991, Core Version 1.8
isp0: <Qlogic ISP 1020/1040 PCI SCSI Adapter> irq 2 at device 5.0 on pci0
isp0: interrupting at CIA irq 2
isp0: Ultra Mode Capable
isp0: Board Revision 1040B, loaded F/W Revision 7.63.0
isp0: Last F/W revision was 2.10.0
bus_dmamap_load: Too many segs! buf_len = 0x2000
isp0: error 27 loading dma map for DMA request queue
isp0: can't setup dma mailboxes
de0: <Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet> irq 1 at device 7.0 on pci0
de0: interrupting at CIA irq 1
de0: 21140A [10-100Mb/s] pass 2.0
de0: address 00:c0:f0:16:2d:7c
isab0: <Intel 82378IB PCI to ISA bridge> at device 8.0 on pci0
isa0: <ISA bus> on isab0
isp1: <Qlogic ISP 2100 PCI FC-AL Adapter> irq 3 at device 9.0 on pci0
isp1: interrupting at CIA irq 3
isp1: Board Revision 2100, loaded F/W Revision 1.15.37
isp1: Last F/W revision was 1.15.37
bus_dmamap_load: Too many segs! buf_len = 0x2000
isp1: error 27 loading dma map for DMA request queue
isp1: can't setup dma mailboxes

So, if you've had mysterious crashes, well, this might explain it. I'm
chasing down why this fails- basically it's because I *thought* I was
asking for a continguous chunk of memory which should get mapped with
only one DMA segment- the ISP can't do multiple DMA descriptors to the
request/response/FC scratch areas- but apparently I'm getting things back
such that I'm getting multiple descriptors. Tsk.

-matt