Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 16:09:05 -0500
From:      Christopher Michaels - SSG <ChrisMic@sbservices.com>
To:        "'junkmale@xtra.co.nz'" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>, warchild@freenet.hut.fi
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: root login remotely

While I whole heartedly agree with setting up SSH and not having ROOT login
remotely, it can be done.

The file /etc/ttys lists all the tty's available on your system.  You'll
notice that the local console/virtual consoles are set as "secure" and the
remote tty's are not "secure".  If you were to set all the remote ttys to
secure, they would allow root logins.

Type "man 5 ttys" for more information.

NOW, this is a bad idea.  This means that ANYONE who is able to telnet to
this machine could possibly hack root.  Using SU at the very least should be
used because this restricts root access to those accounts that are in the
group, wheel.  This provides several other barriers to the hacker who would
try and login as root.

#1 They cannot just keep attempting a root login till they get the passwd.
#2 They do not know what other accounts are on the system, and on top of
that, which are in group wheel.
#3 They don't know the passwords to these accounts.

By using just SU you add these 3 layers of difficulty to the potential root
hacker.  By using SSH (which I personally like but may be bordering a little
on paranoia) you are also encrypting all of the data between yourself and
the remote machine, protecting you from someone who may be on the link
between your machine and the remote machine from sniffing your password
(which is sent in plain text).  Although I beleve there is actually a low
probability of this happening, since most shells still use telnet as their
default point of access.

Just my 2 cents,

/*	Christopher Michaels - SSG
	ChrisMic@sbservices.com	*/