Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 1997 18:30:34 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bus/Processor specific I/O methods - was Re: Beginning SPARC port

Mike Smith scribbled this message on Dec 15:

> > FWIW, NetBSD has a couple of nice man pages on their bus stuff.  See
> > bus_space(9) and bus_dma(9).  It looks like a well abstracted interface,
> > and works on several architectures.  We really should be looking at ways
> > to make the BSD's more similar whenever possible.  Making the drivers
> > more portable would especially be nice.. so I think that this issue
> > definately deserves more thought.
>
> The NetBSD 'bus.h' interface has had a lot of time to stabilise, and
> plenty of performance-sensitive pounding.  For all its conceptual
> difficulty, it *does* appear to be the best way to go.
>
> (No insult intended, JMG!)

actually, after reading the man pages... I found the BEST way to describe
bus.h... it's just a subset of what I want to do...  bus.h only describes
how to interact with mem/io ranges by the cpu...  my bus/device code
does a lot more than that...  it keeps keeps track of ALL bus resources..

my bus/device code is best described as a complete device management
system than a bus interface mechanism...

I have larger plans for my code than just managing hardware devices...
the code will be VERY simply to expand it to support such things as
using to keep track of char/block devices, and other things... with a
common interface.. it will be VERY easy to create something like the
win95's list of system devices that is VERY complete...

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD