Date:      Thu, 02 Jan 1997 13:23:13 -0600
From:      Lee Crites <adonai@jump.net>
To:        Kory Hamzeh <kory@avatar.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation woes

At 19:53 31-12-96 -0800, Kory Hamzeh wrote:

>Hi Everyone,
>
>This is my first FreeBSD install, however, I have a lot of experience
>with other unix's.
>
>I'm trying to install 2.1.5 from the Walnut Creek CD-ROM. Here is a list
>of problems I'm having:
>
>1. The motherboard is a AMI Merlin DP Pentium PRO 200MHZ. Only on CPU
>installed. I have installed 128 meg of ram, but freebsd only seems to see
>the first 64 meg of ram.

You need the (not obiously documented) MAXMEM option added to the kernel.
You can find a copy of it in the /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT file, but it is
wrong. The line in question says:
    options "MAXMEM=(128*1024)"
which looks logical.  However, the compile craps out at the "("...  Put in
    options "MAXMEM=131072"
and it will work fine.

I've had to rebuild the kernel several times and have developed a script for
helping with that.  If you'd like it, just ask and I'll send it to you.
It's nothing to write home to mama about, but it does do some minor error
checking *and* it saves config file and kernel so you can back out to
whatever version you might want.

>2. When adding packages using sysinstall, it (sysinstall) complains that
>it can not find a lot of the packages (including Xfree86!). I made a boot
>floppy and boot off of the floppy and installed of the SCSI CD-ROM.

I was in the process of sending a message about this myself.  I had 14
packages not install because it couldn't find it (including XFree86, trn,
tcp_wrappers, ssh, expect, and kermit), and another 14 with "some error"
(including jdk, emacs, and mtools).

I'd be interested in any pointers...

Thanks muchly...

Lee