Date:      Fri, 3 May 2002 14:23:29 -0700
From:      Lou Katz <lou@metron.com>
To:        JJ Behrens <jj@nttmcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Difference between RELENG_* and RELENG_*_BP

On Fri, May 03, 2002 at 11:15:58AM -0700, JJ Behrens wrote:

> The online documentation for PHP allows users to post comments at the end of
> every page of the online documentation.  Often times, these comments serve to
> enlighten others about various quirks of the libraries.  Perhaps doing the same
> thing with the FreeBSD handbook pages (only online) might be a good idea.
>
> To critique myself, in this particular situation, the handbook details the that
> -STABLE isn't stable very well in section 19.2.2 (I'm always impressed by how
> nice the handbook is).  However, user comments at the end might be nice to
> explain why this branch has historically been called stable, and why it'd be
> too difficult to change the name.
>
> If there's a general concensus that this would be a good idea, I'd be willing
> to help make it happen.

That would help a lot. From the point of view of a native English speaker,
the nomenclature is certainly confusing. Explaining why it is so is OK,
pointing out that it is not to be taken literally will help.

What I would like is a few explicit examples (HowTOs ????) ...
for instance, I have installed from the 4.5 CD rom set. If all I want is
security fixes, what tag do I put in my cvsup file? Or don't I do that at all?

So, starting from a CD installation:
1. What is the procedure (is there a procedure?) for only getting
   security fixes?
2. Is there a procedure for only getting serious bug fixes?

Are 1 and 2 above mutually exclusive?

While I greatly appreciate the effort that goes into both the code and
the documentation, this STABLE/CURRENT/who-knows-what-to-fix-security
stuff gives the Unix bashers yet another opportunity to badmouth
the effort.

If I could get clear on 1 and 2 above, I wouldn't care at all if the
terms used were GOLD/SILVER/PLATINUM/DROSS/LEAD/FLUFFY/SQUOOSHY.

Thank you

-=[Lou Katz]=-