Date:      30 Mar 95 23:54:52 EST
From:      "Leonard W. Mah" <73664.2073@compuserve.com>
To:        FreeBSD <hackers@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.0 Installation

My system is configuration is:

  	Alaris 486SLC2-66Mhz Motherboard
 	8MB
	WD 540MB hd
	WD 250MB slave drive
	Pro Audio Spectrum with NEC 2X CD-ROM

The beginning of the  installation went flawlessly until it was time to install
the distributions onto the slave drive.  I kept on getting  the following
message:

  	"SCSI timeout -- WAIT_FOR_REQ--pas.c:891."

However, this happened only at the end of the bindist installation and it
appeared that it wrote the binaries correctly to my hd because I got the end of
bindist dialog box.  It only took about 6.6 MB of disk space...does that sound
right?  All of the smaller distributions installed without the SCSI timeout
error.  Then, upon installing XFREE86, the checksums verified correctly I got
the extracting, please wait message.  Nothing happened after that with no
activity from the CD ROM drive or the slave drive.  I waited a good 10 minutes
to be sure, and it just sat there doing nothing.  Is there another way to
install XFREE86 that is not too painful?

I would have to say that other than this problem I am more impressed with
FreeBSD than Linux, but as an ex Cal Bear I am a just a little biased.  Any help
would be appreciated...and thanks for your time.

				Leonard W. Mah