Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 1995 12:01:53 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Hot Java..

> I'm looking over the sources here a little (I shouldn't, but I
> couldn't help myself) and it looks like it's going to be a bit of a
> bear.  It uses threads pretty aggressively, manipulating thread stack
> spaces and juggling their internal priorities in addition to all the
> usual create/destroy/block thread ops.  I haven't looked at pthreads
> lately, but I'd say it'll have to be fairly capable to deal with the
> demands made on it by Hot Java.  I also don't know whether or not Java
> assumes your libc to be thread safe, but I rather expect that it does.
>
> Anyone interested in forming a Java interest group to discuss the
> porting of this to FreeBSD?  I think it's going to be a post-2.1
> project, and something of a long one at that.  It would make sense to
> combine effort.

What's so hot concerning java ? I'm running Netscape 1.1 for a while
and I didn't find any interesting / superior stuff in it compared
to Netscape. On thing was hot ... the size of the whole package ;-)

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de         /\/\___ Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/       - Support Unix - akl@wup.de -

                  *** apsfilter - irgendwie clever ***
ftp.informatik.rwth-aachen.de:/pub/Linux/local/packs/APSfilter/aps-49...:-)