Date:      Tue, 01 Jan 2008 13:58:25 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        xcllnt@mac.com
Cc:        freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ocpbus(4)

In message: <CC4D41C0-7CD7-47A8-8DA0-523B38C65B9A@mac.com>
            Marcel Moolenaar <xcllnt@mac.com> writes:
: Let's just fix this right...

In many ways, you are complaining about the same thing that I've
struggled with.  Sometimes, hint.sio.0.addr=0x3e8 means 'bind
whichever of the enumerated COM ports lives at 3e8 to sio0' (eg, cross
binding of a device enumerated by other means to a driver/unit) and
sometimes it means 'you have a COM port whose resource starts at
0x3e8'.  If you have trouble reading the difference between those two
statements, it is the difference between binding a known device node
(known through looking at an BIOS provided table) and the OS providing
that entire table.

I disagree with you that it is a fundamental flaw in the system, but
am always open to better suggestions at how to implement this stuff.
The hints were my first, best guess, and they have served us well.  We
are at the point now where we must expand them either as John has
outlined, or we need to scrap them entirely in favor of something
better.  What we cannot do is let the promise of something better that
isn't really being worked on stop us from expanding what we have.

Do you have something specific in mind that we can start working on
some kind of design document against?  It is OK if that's a series of
conversations, but we have to get off the inflection point we're at
now: No, you can't expand what's there, and there's no clearly
articulated 'something better'.

So if you could take a few minutes and write up a straw-man proposal
for what you see as doing it right, I think that would get us toward a
solution...

Warner