Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:55:12 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        marcs@znep.com
Cc:        ben@rosengart.com, security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: inetd enhancements (fwd)

> > Hrm, that's no good.  But if I'm not mistaken, each interface is
> > configured with its own address.  Does this not give the system enough
> > information to reject packets arriving on the wrong interface for their
> > address?
>
> There is no such thing as the "wrong interface".
>
> It is completely normal and valid to expect that binding to an IP address
> will let connections be accepted on that IP address.  If routing etc. is
> somehow setup so that works when traffic comes in through another
> interface, so it should.  It is called routing.

If your box is setup *not* to route (net.inet.ip.forwarding = 0), I can
certainly see security advantages in not allowing packets to be accepted
unless they have destination address equal to the interface address. I
have seen a patch for this floating around on the net, but it would be
nice to have this configurable.