Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2012 10:24:03 +0200
From:      Jos Chrispijn <kernel@webrz.net>
To:        Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD9 - Fresh install (2)

Mike Clarke:
> My approach would be to go for 3 slices. Slice 1 would be a suitable size to
> hold the OS and swap, I have quite a lot of ports installed on my desktop PC
> so would go for about 20 to 30 GB. This could be less for a server but with
> 1TB you can afford to be generous. This can then be partitioned to suit with
> whatever combinations of /, /usr, /usr/local, /var. /tmp and swap suits your
> fancy.
Intererestig suggestion. In my opinion overkill, but if I have to use
them, I's rather do it good then K-)

thanks,
Jos Chrispijn

> The second slice would be the same size as the first and be left empty for now
> as a spare.
ok
> The third slice, the rest of the disk, would be for all of your data and could
> be partitioned (or not) to suit your needs for /home and any other local data
> requirements. If there's to be any large mysql databases then I'd put them
> here with symlinks from /var where mysql normally expects to find them.
>
> When you come to upgrade to the next FreeBSD release just install it into the
> spare second slice and boot from that instead of the first. If you experience
> any serious problems with the upgrade then nothing has been lost and you can
> just revert to booting of the first slice until things are sorted out.
that sounds goo to me! So I then have to only make that slice bootable
and install, right?
> The above is all assuming you're using UFS. If you're going to use ZFS then
> there are other possibilities like using sysutils/beadm from ports
> <http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=175325>; to manage multiple boot
> environments in a single partition.
Will use the server UFS only, but the /sysutils/beadm makes me curious...

thanks for your suggestions,
Jos Chrispijn