Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 05:53:41 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Charles Pelletier <fozekizer@attbi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make fails during upgrade, so...

On 2002-11-05 21:40, Charles Pelletier <fozekizer@attbi.com> wrote:
> no unfortunately, i have been using the old way...
> 1. cvsup cvsupfile

OK so far.

> 2. make -j4 buildworld

Try without -j4.

> 3. make installworld

That's not a good thing to do in this part of the procedure.  This
should be the last step you do, after you have built, installed and
rebooted your new kernel in single user mode.

> 4. make new kernel:  (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/)
>  cp OLDKERNEL NEWKERNEL
>  ee NEWKERNEL (replace name of oldkernel with newkernel name)
>  save

So far, so good.

>  run /usr/sbin/config NEWKERNEL
>  make depend ../../compile/NEWKERNEL
>  make
>  make install

Try replacing these with:

	# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
	# config -d /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NEWKERNEL NEWKERNEL
	# cd /usr/obj/usr/src/sys/NEWKERNEL
	# make depend
	# make clean
	# make all
	# make install

Then reboot.  Load your new kernel in single user mode.  Start /bin/sh
and install everything with:

	# adjkerntz -i
	# fsck -p
	# mount -u /
	# mount -va
	# cd /usr/src
	# make installworld

Finally, run mergemaster to update /etc:

	# mergemaster -u 022 -s

That's more or less what I do at least once a day.

Giorgos.