Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 06:46:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Soren Kristensen <soren@soekris.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net4501 easy install....

This is how I do things, using the fixit disk and a .tar.gz filesystem
image on another server (could be a windows machine running an ftp server)

I think what I have here is much simpler than what you were discussing -
requires only one boot and one transfer, using the normal boot floppies
and the fixit disk.  This may not solve your PXE boot issue specifically,
but it is a good example of how to create and prep the labels, etc, and
how to move the filesystem over easily.

(note - filenames, etc., below pertain to using ata-flash, not
disk-on-chip.  Also, even if you don't read all of this, please see a nice
method of exploding tarred filesystems over ftp that Warner Losh showed me
in step 14)

Full document, including details for disk-on-chip can be found at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/solid-state/index.html

------------

1. boot off normal freebsd kern + mfsroot

2. choose custom install, choose partition, create partition with 'c' key,
NOW HIT the hidden 'w' option.  choose boot-manager (unless you are using
Disk-on-chip)

3. exit custom install menu (do not use the label portion of the custom
menu)

4. go to fixit

5. mknod /dev/ad0a c 116 0  ;  mknod /dev/ad0c c 116 2

6. disklabel -e /dev/ad0c

(at this point, make a new line at the end of the file for a:

like:    a:  123456  4.2BSD   0   0

(where 123456 is the partition size you see in the existing c: entry, and
where those are not tabs but spaces between fields)

7. disklabel -B -r /dev/ad0c

8. newfs /dev/ad0a

9. mkdir /flash

10. mount /dev/ad0a /flash

11. cd /flash (you are now on your disk now)

12. ifconfig fxp0 1.2.3.4 netmask 255.255.255.0

13. route add default 1.2.3.1

14. Here is a neat trick - if your tarred filesystem is bigger than half
of your flash card, how do you get the tar file on the flash card, and
explode it ?  2x the space will be too much for the flash card.  Here is
how:

ftp> get tarfile.tar "| tar xvf -"

or if it is gzipped:

ftp> get tarfile.tar.gz "| zcat | tar xvf -"

and it will just explode, over ftp, onto your flash card.

15. cd / ; umount /flash ; sync

16. reboot, remove floppy, there is your system.

--john