Date:      Sat, 24 Feb 1996 11:43:34 +0000
From:      Marco Masotti <mc7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org

Dear Sirs,

I've been using with success the pppd package (kernel supported).

Because of the lack of demand dialing capability, I'd like now to switch to
the user ppp (aka iijppp).

In the first place, I've tried to do a manual connection, by means of the
term program. And soon, the half of the problem: when the number is dialed,
the login is performed successfully, the ISP prompts me to "active the PPP
software",  but the PPP prompt does not switch automatically from lower case
to upper case letters, until I give the ~p sequence, which is not that
automatic detection is described in the man pages.
Worse still, attempting to perform the automatic procedure, my PPP software
just hungs.

I suspect that my ISP doesn't send properly the LCP config request, just
waiting me to do so (with the ~p command).

In a different environment, when connecting to a PPP dialin server (Solaris
2.4 based) set up in my own workshop, no problem at, either manually or
automatically. The connection promptly establishes. Notably this time the
dial in server unsolicitedly sends its LCP packets sequence.

Is there an option into the PPP software, that I am evidently missing
connecting to the peer of my provider?

Thank you for any answers, best rgds

Marco Masotti