Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 13:55:39 -0700
From:      Jon Bailey <jonb@matchlogic.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, 'Jerry Raynor' <jerryr@ComCAT.COM>
Subject:   RE: daily security check output

Jerry,
  A segfault is a "bad thing", only as much as meaning "it crashed".  It's
the same thing as a General Protection Fault in Windows, basically, a
program for some reason made an attempt to access part of memory, or
resources, which it was not allowed to (It tried to work outside of its
"segment"), and as a result the OS terminated it, and logged the message.

This isn't an attack, just a program crashing.  :-)

	-jon

P.s. (If I'm not correct on this, ppl, please correct me.  <G>)