Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:23:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: New collection for ports - perl ?

On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Narvi wrote:

> > > perl5 includes an imake-like tool called MakeMaker, so porting them is a
> > > piece of cake.  Once installed, they even include a packing list, making
> > > the generation of pkg/PLIST a simple task.
> >
> > I'm not sure it is interesting as it would duplicate something already
> > present in the Perl mechanisms (MakeMaker and al) and would only be a
> > wrapper around
>
> It is. Actually, in case of some perl modules (was it GD?) you also will
> need some C code which is to be compiled. Also - there is the problem of
> maintaining the thing - was this or that module version 1.0, 2.0 or did I
> upgrade to 3.0? Did I remove all the files no more used by the newer one?
> None of these is handled by the MakeMaker. FreeBSD ports do have some
> solutions to these problems.

Additionally, this would:

1. Make them even easier (1 line over 3 isn't much, but it's something)
2. Help track the  hideous dependancies that Perl modules have on each
other
3. Make uninstallation a snap, something that the MakeMaker package in
perl does not do.

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| Integrator, The Nexis Group                     Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |