Date:      Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:36:25 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Randy Smith <randys@amigo.net>
To:        Martin Jessa <freebsd@yazzy.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mac-address based auth with Radius for wlans

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, Martin Jessa wrote:

> Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 12:12:35 +0200
> From: Martin Jessa <freebsd@yazzy.org>
> To: freebsd-isp <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Mac-address based auth with Radius for wlans
>
> Hi Guys.
>
> I have Wireless Acess Points which are able to talk to Raius servers.
> I was wondering if it was possible to somehow combine Mac-address authentication with SQL stored user data, i.e username@domain.com with some pass will get his MAC-address stored in a database when he authenticates and then he gets an IP handed out by the Radius server.
> Is there any tool that can do that ?

Most of the OSS radius servers that I have seen allow you to run an app
when the user attempts to authenticate. (I have only done this with
cistron, though I know gnu-radius and freeradius both support it.) You can
use that app to add the MAC to the DB. The "fun" part is getting the MAC
from the user. If you can do that, then you're good to go.

--
Randy Smith
Amigo.Net Systems Administrator