Date:      Mon, 08 Jan 2001 13:44:51 -0800
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, wilko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RELNOTESng update

--==_Exmh_473853038P

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 06, 2001 at 09:00:11AM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> > > If you're changing it anyways:
> > > Didn't Nik say lately, that he'd like stuff be converted to XML?
> >
> > Hmmm.  I remember that this topic came up at the doc BOF at BSDCon, but
> > I don't remember what the outcome was.  Hopefully Nik will chime in
> > with his thoughts along these lines.
>
> In my perfect world the driver source code (or, at least, the NOTES
> file) would have marked up information in it about what was supported.
> We would then have some (mythical, and unimplemented) process that
> iterated over this information, building the list of supported hardware.
> This would (hopefully) make it easier for the driver authors to list
> what hardware their drivers supported.

Hmm.  Sounds good, and I think this is a great thing to work towards.
I'll freely admit, however, that:

1) This is going to require much more work (and cooperation on the part
of driver authors) than the (relatively) simple conversion of the
release notes and hardware list to DocBook.

2) I'm exactly the wrong person to push this, because of my
inexperience with XML.

Do you think it'd be reasonable to finish RELNOTESng (along with
integrating it into the release-building process), and then try to move
towards the perfect world once that's settled down a bit? I don't want
to lose the personal momentum I've built up on the release notes, et al.
to stall while I (or someone else) goes away to figure out how to
implement the new hardware list.

(Like I said, I think it's something to work towards, and I wish we had
it now....)

Thanks!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_473853038P