Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 97 01:37:07 +0100
From:      Jean-Marc Zucconi <jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fdisk headache

 > As Jean-Marc Zucconi wrote:
 >> I try to add another disk, but it seems that something has changed
 >> since my last drive installation because fdisk doesnt want to write a
 >> correct information.

 > Why are you using fdisk at all?  You are running Unix, you aren't
 > running on a PC, you are not supposed to use fdisk (unless other
 > systems on your disk force you to this step).

 > :-)

I thought that this step was mandatory :-)

 > . wipe out your junked fdisk table: dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd4 count=10
 > . give the entire disk to FreeBSD:  disklabel -Brw sd4 auto
 > . edit the partitions as you need:  disklabel -e sd4

Simple - easy - and it works! You can add a 4th point to your recipe:

  . rm /sbin/fdisk

So I can gain 57344 bytes on my drive :-)

Thanks,

Jean-Marc
 Jean-Marc Zucconi       Observatoire de Besancon       F 25010 Besancon cedex
                   PGP Key: finger jmz@cabri.obs-besancon.fr